Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blog Ettiquette 101

There's an unspoken golden rule of blogging, facebook, email and it goes like this ...
IF YOU WOULDN'T SAY IN PERSON, DON'T BLOG IT, FACE BOOK IT OR EMAIL IT.

It's really not a hard rule to follow.  Why do people think a keyboard gives them the right to judge another human being?  I certainly don't agree with every blog I read but much like polite conversation, I just read past those discrepancies in my own belief system whether it be child rearing or religion.

What gives any of us the right to judge another? 

So here's the background on my little rant today:
Last week as I sat in my MBA class making small talk, the subject of people sending emails they would never say in person came up.  I mentioned I read several blogs and I think it's ridiculous when a blogger is personally attacked in the comments.  A much younger classmate of mine said do you read XXX?  And I said yes, sometimes.   She preceded to tell me what an idiot the blogger is and she has "railed" her before in the comments.  I asked her what gives her the right.  Youngster said "If the blogger is going to put her life on the Internet then I can".  No, no you can't!!!! I strongly disagree with this and it's haunted me for a week now. 

Granted very few people read my little blog and I'm hardly controversial but still this has me riled.  I can't stop thinking about it.  Now I'm trying to practice what I am preaching here ...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

One day, you might have a blog, facebook and/or children .. do you want to be constantly "railed" about the choices you make for you and yours?  I think not.  

No comments: